Russian Avant-garde Gallery Forum

A Home for the Russian Avant-garde Loving Community

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 am

• Advertisement

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Dale Chihuly 
vera
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 am
Post Number: #1  
Post Dale Chihuly
In 1999, I think in was December, there was a special exhibition in the "Tower of David" museum in Jerusalem. The whole territory, inside and outside, was magically transformed by seemingly randomly placed glass installations, sculptures, by the renown American artist Dale Chihuly.

Why do I remember so precisely? Because I was there, which is in itself a feat :lol:. And I was just about a couple of weeks pregnant (my son has just turned 10 this August).

But most of all I remember being completely and totally, all-consumingly (I probably cannot say that in English, and yet - I must) blown away. Never in my life have I been so affected by an artist. Never have I seen works of art which entranced me and captured my very soul, so that I dreamed about them for years at night.

I still do. This is the work that has caught my imagination so competely:

Chandelier at the Tower of David

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:19 am
Profile WWW
vera
Site Admin

Post Number: #2  
Post Re: Dale Chihuly
The Internet abounds with material about Chihuly. There are YouTube movies and blogs galore. And yet... after talking about him with a friend over SKYPE and discovering there are people who know nothing at all about him (unbelievable, and yet I did not either, before 1999) - I decided to make a post about his delicate and yet powerful art here.

Palazzo di Loredana Balboni, Mexico, 1996

Campiello del Remer, Ireland, 1996

Violet Persian Set with Red Lip Wraps Glass. Spenser Museum of Art

In 2000, Chihuly's commission from the Victoria and Albert Museum for a 30 ft (9.1 m) high, blown glass chandelier dominates the museum's main entrance.

He was born in 1941, in Tacoma, Washington. His life was far from easy. This is what Wiki has on his biography (for some reason, his website I seem unable to load):
Quote:
Chihuly graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in Tacoma. Supported by his mother, after his brother George's death in 1957 at a flight-training accident in Florida and his father's death of a heart attack a year later, he enrolled at the College of the Puget Sound in 1959. A year later, he transferred to the University of Washington at Seattle, where in 1965 he received a bachelor of arts degree in interior design.

In 1967, he received a Master of Science in sculpture from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, where he studied under Harvey Littleton. In 1968, he studied glass in Venice on a Fulbright Fellowship and received a Master of Fine Arts at the Rhode Island School of Design. In 1971, with the support of John Hauberg and Anne Gould Hauberg, Chihuly founded the Pilchuck Glass School near Stanwood, Washington.

In 1976, while Chihuly was in England, he was involved in a head-on car accident during which he flew through the windshield. His face was severely cut by glass and he was blinded in his left eye. After recovering, he continued to blow glass until he dislocated his shoulder in a 1979 bodysurfing accident. No longer able to hold the glass blowing pipe, he hired others to do the work; Chihuly explained the change in a 2006 interview, saying "Once I stepped back, I liked the view" and pointing out that it allowed him to see the work from more perspectives and enabled him to anticipate problems faster. Chihuly describes his role as "more choreographer than dancer, more supervisor than participant, more director than actor."

Chihuly's The Sun was on temporary display until January 2006 at Kew Gardens, London, England. The piece is 13 feet (4 m) high.

Dale Chihuly glass art at the exhibition of his work in Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew in 2005

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 am
Profile WWW
vera
Site Admin

Post Number: #3  
His smaller size work is no less different, light and exotic than his sculptures.

Putti Sealife Cylinder. Schantz Galleries, Stockbridge, MA

Cardinal Red Seaform Set with Charcoal Lip Wraps. Schantz Galleries, Stockbridge, MA

Kings Blue Persian Set with Rouge Lip Wraps. Schantz Galleries, Stockbridge, MA

Silvered Copper Piccolo Venetian with Gilded Jet Coil. Schantz Galleries, Stockbridge, MA

Chandelier.Schantz Galleries, Stockbridge, MA

Blue Herons, Walla Wallas, and Reichenbach Mirrored Balls. Schantz Galleries, Stockbridge, MA

There is a lot more at Schantz Galleries, Stockbridge, MA.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:32 am
Profile WWW
vera
Site Admin

Post Number: #4  
"The NSU Glass Garden". Alvin Sherman Library

Sea Blue and Green Tower, 2004. Holsten Galleries Contemporary Glass Sculpture

Majestic Macchia, 2009. Holsten Galleries Contemporary Glass Sculpture

Cerulean Macchia, 2010. Holsten Galleries Contemporary Glass Sculpture

Persian Ceiling, 1999. Holsten Galleries Contemporary Glass Sculpture

Cobalt Blue Venetian with Yellow Flowers, 2008. Holsten Galleries Contemporary Glass Sculpture

Desert Botanical Garden, Phoenix

This are good pages to look at for more:
Inspiration from Dale Chihuly
The Amazing Art of Dale Chihuly in the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix
Gallery Litvak, Modern Art

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:56 am
Profile WWW
vera
Site Admin

Post Number: #5  
And as I have began, so I shall conclude with some more Tower of David photographs from various sources.

Dale Chihuly. Red Spears. Tower of David. By Moti Barness

http://movies.israel.net/articles/chihuly/chihuly.html

Overview of the completed installations. Close to us - The Moon. Far, in Pink - The Crystal Mountain. By William Warmus.

The White Tower, nicknamed by some the Medusa Tower. By William Warmus.

The White Tower, nicknamed by some the Medusa Tower and the Blue Feather Tower. By William Warmus.

Blue Feather Tower. 48 feet tall, 2000 pieces of glass, it descends 20 feet into the archeological substructure of the Citadel, its base surrounded by stone shot launched by siege machines against the fortress. By William Warmus.

A pair of Rock Pigeons has taken up a perch in the Blue Feather Tower at about the second story level. By William Warmus.

Two extremes of the project:
Industrial strength and Infinite delicacy: Mohammed arc welding the armature of the Crystal Mountain, where each strut is capable of supporting the weight of a person, versus the incredibly fragile glass edges of the 47 foot tall Blue Feather Tower, which as we saw above can just support the weight of birds.

The Blue Feather Tower. http://i12bent.tumblr.com/post/19261165 ... -today-sep

The Tower of David Museum, Jerusalem. By Dror Bar-Natan.

This was the sight I have seen that memorable night in winter 1999. This was the sight I dream of occasionally since then. I leave you to judge for yourselves, how this artist's work has affected you, although, naturally, seeing on the Internet is not in any way like standing underneath that massive chandelier, that Sun, and see its glorious tentacles burst in every direction like the very explosion of chaotic, yet orderly, life, and try to reach you below with their delicate touch.

I can only add to that that there are some artists who are a mile above others; who touch your very soul, and you are never again the same. Dale Chihuly is one such artist for me.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:20 am
Profile WWW
vera
Site Admin

Post Number: #6  
Dale Chihuly has come to Israel again, and his exhibition has taken place in the Litvak Gallery, in Tel Aviv. Last weekend we have gone to see it, as you can well imagine I could not miss such a chance. My 10-year-old son went with me, and it has turned into a full-blown family excursion as we were joined by my kid-brother with his wife and also my father with his partner.

The Persian window
Attachment:
persian-window.jpg
persian-window.jpg [ 81.99 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

The white flower (I forget the name of this exhibit), my father and my son. :)
Attachment:
white-flower.jpg
white-flower.jpg [ 52.03 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

As expected, I found his art amazing, fluid and vibrant.
Ice-crystals. The placement of this one on the terrace is so right and startling, with the buildings at the background. And then when it got dark, even more striking.
Attachment:
Ice-crystals.jpg
Ice-crystals.jpg [ 86.9 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]
Attachment:
Ice-crystals2.jpg
Ice-crystals2.jpg [ 86.69 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

The fire spikes.
Attachment:
fire-spikes.jpg
fire-spikes.jpg [ 72.46 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

My son liked the art immensely, to my great relief. So much that he patiently listened to every explanation on the little audio-guide thingy we received at the entrance, including the introduction about the gallery owners and exhibition preparation.
The blue double candelabra:
Attachment:
blue-candelabra.jpg
blue-candelabra.jpg [ 89.86 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

Blue spheres. They look like planets to me.
Attachment:
blue-spheres.jpg
blue-spheres.jpg [ 87.15 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]
Attachment:
blue-spheres2.jpg
blue-spheres2.jpg [ 79.38 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

Fire tower:
Attachment:
fire-tower.jpg
fire-tower.jpg [ 84.59 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

A star, hanging above you head, white with amber elements. Surreal and soft. Strange to say "soft" about glass, isn't it?
Attachment:
star.jpg
star.jpg [ 68.63 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

A vase:
Attachment:
vase.jpg
vase.jpg [ 51.74 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

Canes. They appear to be moving to a wind we cannot feel.
Attachment:
cane.jpg
cane.jpg [ 63.22 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

The dark room: a room with black velvety walls, ceiling, floor and the fiery-orange items on a shiny-black surface of an exhibition table, lighted discretely from above. A totally ethereal feeling enhanced by the reflections of the exhibits in the table surface.
Attachment:
dark-room.jpg
dark-room.jpg [ 56.62 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]
Attachment:
dark-room2.jpg
dark-room2.jpg [ 46.46 KiB | Viewed 6039 times ]

Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:10 am
Profile WWW
jkpiodsoea
Community member

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:21 pm
Post Number: #7  
ImageUnfortunately, I can help nothing. I think, you will find the correct decision. Do not despair.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]